With winter coming in merely weeks, Erie, PA, residents should be prepping for its harsh conditions. It's best to plan for the unexpected; Especially during the holidays, you want a reliable vehicle to run errands, do your holiday shopping, and visit friends and family.
When unforeseen events occur, like a snowstorm, your daily commute can go from minutes to hours. By reviewing this quick auto to-do list, you'll be better prepared to handle unexpected winter weather conditions. Before heading out on the road this winter, the Car Care Council recommends you to do the following:
- Double-check that your car heater and defroster are working properly. As temperatures drop, you want to be warm and comfortable in your ride. Also, you'll need defrosters to clear your windshield and windows.
- Stock an emergency kit in your car. Make sure you include winter-centric items such as an ice scraper, snowbrush, and the basics: jumper cables, flashlight, flares, etc.
- Pack blankets, warm clothes, bottled water, snacks, and essential medicines.
- Check the tire tread depth and measure tire pressure to ensure your car can grip the roads properly in wet or dry conditions.
- Top off all your essential fluids, including engine oil, transmission fluid, coolant, power steering, brake, etc.
- Fill up on windshield washer fluid and change wiper blades if they are cracked or damaged. You're going to need to clear rain, snow, or dirt effectively during the winter.
- Test to see that both your headlights and taillights work and are correctly aimed.
- Replace your brake pads and other brake parts if needed.
It's too risky to take your vehicle out this winter if it hasn't gotten the proper care in a while. Now is the time if you need a comprehensive vehicle inspection before the harsh winter swoops in. We invite you to bring your car to Harrell Automotive for a brake inspection, battery check, tune-up, and more. Please give us a call at (814) 983-6167 or schedule an appointment with us today!