Car ball joints consist of a ball and socket very similar to the hip socket of a human body. The ball joints of the front suspension of your car provide pivoting movement between the steering knuckles and control arms, this helps provide a safe, smooth ride with precise control over your vehicle.
So, how can you tell if your car ball joints need to be replaced?
- You begin to hear squeaky noises coming from your vehicle.
- Your vehicle begins to drift off to the side
- Your steering loosens and becomes shaky
- Uneven tire wear
The above are the obvious signs of worn-out or wearing-out car ball joints. However, how else can you check whether they need a replacement if there aren't obvious symptoms?
- Take your car out for a drive and drive to its speed limit while paying close attention to its engine, steering wheel, and the car's overall performance.
- Drive over speed bumps if your car makes any weird noises then your car ball sockets are probably worn out and need a replacement.
- Turn your steering wheel while listening closely for any noises from the car ball joints.
Can I Drive My Car Without Car Ball Joints?
If you are wondering whether you can just do without your car ball joints then the answer is simple, no!
Car ball joints are a significant part of a vehicle, you should not drive with no car ball joint or with a worn-out car ball joint. Being reluctant to change your car ball joints can cause damage to other vehicle components in the future and if your car ball joints happen to fail you could lose control of your vehicle and this could lead to an accident occurring and injuries to you and others. For this reason, it is quite significant to have your car ball joints checked out whenever it is needed and have them replaced if need be.
If you need ball joint replacement performed, we invite you to bring your vehicle into Harrell Automotive today!