When it comes to your car, it all starts with the battery (literally). Proper battery maintenance is essential for 2 reasons:
- Your car won't start or run without it.
- It is the key to prolong the life of your automobile's electrical system.
If the battery isn't working efficiently, your alternator has to do the heavy lifting to make up for it. The other electrical components can suffer as well.
Batteries are susceptible to shifts in the weather in PA. Extreme temperatures will affect the battery's overall performance, which is why we highly recommend getting routine battery inspections. The inspection should be an essential part of your spring and fall checkups. You can casually check it every now and then too. Next time you're under your hood, take a look at your battery. Here are the things to check for:
- Is the battery clean and free of residue? A dirty battery will drain easier.
- Is there corrosion at the terminals where the battery cables attach to the battery? If there is, the decay can interfere with how efficiently electricity passes through from the battery.
- Are the cables loose? All wires should be tightly tucked away.
- Are the cables themselves corroded? Corrosion can eat through the battery cables.
At Harrell Automotive, our service team can inspect and test your battery. If the battery test shows that replacing the battery or cables is needed, you should be considered lucky to have caught the problem early.
Your battery will also last longer if you keep your fuel system and ignition system clean. It's all a part of your commitment to routine maintenance to keep your vehicle running in Erie, PA. If you require a repair or maintenance service, feel free to give us a call or visit Harrell Automotive today.